Saturday, March 3, 2012

A Scanner Darkly- A Scanner Darkly (2006)

I had started in on doing a lengthy writeup on this album before I went to the A Scanner Darkly last.fm page and realized that the description on said site was as good if not better than anything I was going to write. So here it is:

"As a humble tribute to Philip K. Dick (one of the greatest science fiction writers- and one of the best novelists of the 20th century) A Scanner Darkly draws influence from Dick’s hallucinogenic alternate-realities and the seemingly incompatible musical worlds of sludge, drone, grindcore and prog-rock to create their own synergetic brand of sci-fi metal that is as intelligent as it is brutal!

Alternately lightning fast, brutally crushing and whimsically self-referential, ASD’s self-titled debut is both a tribute to- and an embodiment of- the paranoid, psychotic world of Philip K. Dick."


Combining some totally awesome tunes with a devotion to all things Philip K. Dick (Dickish?), one of my favorite writers, is a huge win in my book. Don't make the same mistake I did and dismiss this band as simply metalcore and ignore them for years. 


No comments:

Post a Comment