Monday, June 18, 2012

Vinyl Fetish: Whirr (Whirl)- Distressor EP

Not sure how I missed that this reissue was happening. The original pressing of this Whirr EP (they were known as Whirl at the time) was fraught with issues. I know that a number of people who ordered it from the UK based label it was released on never received their records. I opted not to order it from them based on that fact, so I've been semi-actively looking for a copy at a reasonable price on Discogs for a year now. I go to the Discogs homepage today and voila! a reissue. Comes with all new artwork and two bonus demo tracks. 595 copies pressed, 325 on clear with splatter (ugh, I know, splatter vinyl is fucking lame) and 270 on green/white swirl, which is supposedly exclusive to the Graveface Record Club (also lame). Oh well, at least I'll be able to own one of my favorite EPs in recent memory on vinyl at last

 

5 comments:

  1. What's your beef with record clubs? If you believe in what Graveface Records is doing, then you get privileges. If you don't, then you don't. Seems fair to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Record clubs are frequently overpriced for what they are. Graveface's isn't bad at all, it's about $12 a record, but often you're paying more than retail for a record you get as part of a record club that is indistinguishable from the regular release except for the vinyl color. Record clubs often don't deliver on their promises. The Hell Comes Home series is one people are cheesed off about right now. They shelled out what amounted to $7 per 7" for the "exclusive" subscription series and later find out when the records come out you can buy them piecemeal for $6 ppd and only get the records you actually want. That's the big thing. There are some record labels I wholeheartedly support and would consider joining the record club if it existed, but even then what are the odds I like all of the records? Or even half? It just seems like a way to foist records on people who join because they want one or two records. And what happens to those records you don't care for? They end up on eBay fetching outrageous prices. I'm sure flippers love record clubs.

      Why did I buy this record if I hate it? I don't like the vinyl color, however as I said, the music on it is some of the best I've heard in recent years and I didn't have a choice of what color I bought since the other was "exclusive."

      Delete
    2. But, you might be right. The "Poopyface Records" part may have been a little immature. I changed it.

      Delete
  2. Record clubs and vinyl splatters = lame, yet people never getting orders from a UK label gets a mention with no snarky comment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think people not receiving records that they paid for being lame goes without saying. If I were to simply state that there was a massacre in Syria and not make a snarky comment about it does that mean I'm somehow OK with it?

      Delete